Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Meet the creatives

I have been wanting to add a new dimension to the blog, and as I adore exploring, I thought that meeting the people who make the stuff I adore would be fantastic. SO without further ado:
Kühn Keramik - Anya Jensen photography
First up is a sensational ceramists based in Berlin: Kühn Keramik. I had seen the work of Bernhard Kühn on the internet, and loved it so much, that I arranged to meet at his Berlin Studio when I was in town. My travel {best} buddy Tina from Traveling Mama came along. Here is my version of the story:)
Kühn Keramik - Anya Jensen photography
Bernd told us how he always enjoyed working with his hands, and when he asked his father what he should do for a living his father suggested a baker, cook or confectioner, as long as it was something he could make, and put in a hot oven. His choice fell on ceramics.
Kühn Keramik - Anya Jensen photography
I think that Bernd's style is something between baroque, glamour and kitch, with a humorous touch. Bernd says he keeps it simple, and then sees what happens. His ceramics are sold throughout the World now, but his studio and shop is based in the Kreuzberg area of Berlin. The shop is an old Apothecary, that in the very early days served as a restaurant. When Bernd and his wife Claudia, {who works in the shop, and deals with all the marketing and PR}, bought the place, they discovered amazing ceilings and rooms that had been covered for years. 
Kühn Keramik - Anya Jensen photography
His studio and the kiln is downstairs, as is 3 assistants who help him with the creative process. The ceramics are all hand made, they are glazed twice, and then decorated. Berndt has several drawers with decals, and he tells me that a design just comes to mind and then he tries to create it. From what I've seen I think he has managed that pretty well.
Kühn Keramik - Anya Jensen photography
Kühn Keramik - Anya Jensen photography
Kühn Keramik - Anya Jensen photography
The shop has an amazing ambience, and mixed with the spectacular ceramics produced I'd be more than happy going back for more. We were made to feel very welcome, and I loved it there, happily walking around, exploring. I am always amazed by creative people, and how they manage to make things others want to purchase. I bought myself an amazing 'darling' cup (naturally) and I love it. 
Kühn Keramik - Anya Jensen photography
Kühn Keramik - Anya Jensen photography
Thank you Bernd and Claudia for having us, and maybe see you next time we visit Berlin. Also have a look for Kühn Keramik and their fantastic collaborations with Rory Dobner and Astier de Vilatte.
Kühn Keramik - Anya Jensen photography
So guys what do you think? Did you enjoy this studio tour? Should I visit more cool places? - let me know your thoughts. Tina has also blogged her awesome version of the story, so have a look here

Kühn Keramik


Yorckstraße 18

10965 Berlin

+49 (0) 30 28 384 695

info@kuehn-keramik.com
Facebook



30 comments

  1. Dear Anya

    that is an interessting story and a very nice tip for Berlin. I like that new idea from you.

    Happy hot day

    Amalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amalie, We loved it there - AMAZING place,
      Ax

      Delete
  2. love this new feature anya. he is absolutely amazing. those mugs are absolutely gorgeous. i wouldn't mind having one. hahaha the process is something else. thanks for sharing doll.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mine, so gorgeous and daaaarling :)
      Axx

      Delete
  3. Fabulous tour, Anya! I must put this on my list for my next Berlin visit. Actually, it reminds me of the ceramics boutique 'Astier de Villatte' in Paris. So luxurious and beautiful!! Have a happy day my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Igor, Do you know they are actually collaborating with them :)
      Axx

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is so cool. I also have a crafty series for the same reason, I'm so curious to see their work and a behind the scenes tour never fails to amaze me!! I would love one of those mugs... maybe next time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giova, I knew I liked his work, but the studio tour just blew our socks off - SO fab,
      Axx

      Delete
  5. I'm a big fun of studio tours, yours is GREAT:) waiting for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetest, loved doing it:)

      Delete
  6. I love his stuff, saw it in London.
    Could buy all of it.
    Enjoyed the writing.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja - I never saw it in London - must go and look when I visit next.
      Tak sødeste A :)
      Axx

      Delete
  7. Totally fab post! Love the background story and his ceramics are great. I could definitely add some of his things to my collection ;-) Have a lovely day xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Carole, I could have purchased tons - FAB.
      Axx

      Delete
  8. Yes-love love! I just spent the whole weekend walking around artists' studios and loved every minute of it. More please gorgeous lady xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline - wasn't this beautiful :)

      Delete
  9. It was such a joy to shop with you! Thanks for letting me tag along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh love, you never just tagged along - it was an amazing day - thank you :))

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing this Anya. When I go to Berlin, I'll definitely look for those.
    Beautiful pieces.
    (www.iambabylonia.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle - I adore this place :)

      Delete
  11. Thank you for sharing magic, Anya.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Sacremento - glad you liked it xxx

      Delete
  12. It's wonderful. Love this place & I think you should definitely go and visit more places, it's great! I love pottery and stuff like this :)) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kizzy, after this I think it's the way ahead:)

      Delete
  13. Wonderful new series... please keep it up. Love seeing you as a journalist. Adds an interesting dimension to your blog.

    What a great place with fantastic creatives and lovely ceramics. Loved reading the story and not surprised they collaborated with Astier de Villatte.. love their shop in Paris.

    Definitely bookmarked for when I actually GET to Berlin:)
    Had quick peek over on Tina's site. Love both posts.

    Well done you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina, I really loved doing this, and had a lot of fun writing more than I usually do.
      Tina & I had such a great time there, the studio & shop was amazing.
      You have to go next time you're in Berlin. Speak soon love Ax

      Delete
  14. Dear Anya,
    I love the ceramiks from Kühn.
    Have a nice day,
    Hugs
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne, we love it, now thy just need a danish retailer ;-)
      Ax

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a comment - I love reading what you have to say

♡ A

Instagram

Designed by Kelly Brito